Monday, February 25, 2008

Poetry in Music

Well rested and rejuvenated are we after a lovely four days in Jasper. Highlights included an outdoor pool heated to around 95 degrees, surrounded by mountains and snow. The weather was fantastic, and the lodge was peaceful with it's huge fireplaces, comfy couches and a good wine list.

On to the next project for Da Camera. When choosing a season, which usually happens 12 months before the last concert of the next season, it is often tricky to think of a full concert of music without leaving some doors open. So, the title of the concert I chose, 12 months ago, was "Poetry in Music" Thinking that I would pair up some great poets with settings of great composers. So here, in no particular order, are the poets, and the composers that we will present on our next concert:

Poets:
  • Henry Vaughn
  • Thomas Campion
  • Schnitzer
  • Karl Unger
  • Rainer Maria Rilke
  • Shakespeare
  • Robert Frost
Composers
  • Hubert Parry
  • Edward Elgar
  • Schubert
  • Hindemith
  • Vaughn Williams
  • Eric Whittaker
  • Randal Thompson
We will also throw in some Oscar Peterson, honouring the great late Canadian Jazz Pianist, with his "Hymn to Freedom". Something that will be seen on many a choral concert in these parts through the next year.

Maybe I should open this up as a contest and see who can name as many of the works as possible with the list above. The person who gets the most right answer will win comps to the concert (travel not included).

1 comment:

I'm Still Me said...

I won't get any right ... but I LOVE THOMAS CAMPION. We just did View Me, Lord by Wood on Sunday and I'm still singing it in my head. Rare for me to love what we sang in church this much.