Saturday, April 23, 2011

A Free Write for Sabbatum Sanctum

It might seem that I had given up blogging for Lent. My last post was a short video I posted way back on March 2nd. I have noticed, and perhaps my more faithful readers would to, that my postings over the course of the last eight months have been significantly lower than in previous school years. Today, while I enjoy the quietness of Holy Saturday, watching the Jays vs. Rays game, I'm going to try a free write in this post in the hopes that it might spur a rebirth of posts in the coming weeks.

I'm not 100% sure why I have found posting more difficult this year, it certainly isn't a lack of things to write about. In many ways, it's been the busiest year of my working career. I'm balancing a part-time teaching load at a local private university college, a half-time church position, a community chamber choir, a professional early music ensemble, plus various other singing and chorus prep work with the Edmonton Symphony Orchestra, including a very intense four rehearsal chorus prep for the Duruflé Requiem just last month. Perhaps, looking over this list above, this could be why the posts were so few and far between.

Even as I write this, I am still three services away from the end of Holy Week and Easter services, then I head off on a five day bus tour with the above university college choir through northern parts of British Columbia, then back for a intense week to prepare for the first annual Early Music Alberta Festival, and then one week later the last Da Camera concert of the year. At least my grades are now submitted, and the term is over.

Normally by this time of year, I would already be playing golf on a regular basis and most of my activities will have been completed. We have had the pleasure of an extended winter in Edmonton this year, there is still plenty of snow on the ground in shaded areas, so the start of golf season is delayed by nearly a month. They only nice thing about that is I'm just plain too busy to play, so I can wait out the next few weeks before the courses open without feeling envious of those who have the time to play.

We are also into the last few weeks of a federal election here in Canada. I'll refrain from posting political comments here, as I've been vocal enough on my facebook about the current situation. I will be happy though to see the removal of the election signs in the few days after May 2nd. One of the best bylaws we have in our little hamlet is that all signs have to be down within two days of the election.

That's enough rambling for one day. I hope in the next few weeks (perhaps not until after the tour, unless I decide to blog on the bus) to put a few posts up about the season I had this year, wrapping up the individual projects and looking ahead to the next season.

In the mean time - off the to the driving range to see if I still remember how to swing.

No comments: