Sunday, March 29, 2009

Twitterific!

Excuse the completely non-choral-related blog post. But in the last few days I've been thinking a lot about the power technology in my daily life.

First up - Twitter.

I've had a Twitter account now since the fall, and after a few hours of "huh?" I rarely went back to look at it again. Once in a while posting a "tweet" here and there, and reading the odd tweet from others.

Well, in the last 24 hours I have become a complete convert to Twitter, and have discovered all sorts of twitter-fun. I won't go into detail, but perhaps you should look up twitterfon, twitterfox, twittervision, hashtags, and all your favourite celebrities from the NBC Show "The Office", or the PGA tour, or whatever else you like. I now can't seem to stop Tweeting. I had actually wondered if people who twitter should be called "Twits" but apparently, they are just "Tweeple".

Second up - Quantum Computers.

I was listening to the local CBC One yesterday afternoon (because I can no longer listen to the national CBC Two anymore) and there was an interview with a computer scientist who said that the next step in computers will see a progress which is without precedent. Apparently, the speed, memory, and storage capacity of the computers of the future will make the new MacBook I own look like my 1200 baud modem I had bought for my Commodore 64 back in the early 1980s. One example he gave was that the new Quantum Computers will be able to do a mathematical calculation in a few seconds, which would take today's fastest computer months.

I wonder though, in the future, will people be able to manipulate computers as easily as the FBI agents can in the TV show "24"?

Yesterday, my cell phone went through the wash, and the power cord to my computer was left in my studio at the University.

I felt alone.

No comments: